St. Joseph’s College was part of the present school and the college section offered Intermediate Courses, affiliated to Calcutta University in 1927.
For the first time in 1948, women students were admitted into the College.
In 1953 three acres of land was acquired along with Santosh villa from Raja of Burdwan. This villa was used for hostel but it was inadequate to accommodate ever increasing numbers of student hostellers. So new buildings were constructed, viz St. Xavier’s hostel in 1954. The Campion Hall in 1970.
In 1957 Honours Courses were introduced in English, Economics and Chemistry.
The College offers Courses in Commerce, Computer Science ,Microbiology, Business administration, Mass Communications and Journalism and Mathematics Honours.