The School is by the side of Kurseong-Darjeeling road, at an altitude of 5150 ft. St. Helen’s School, St. Joseph’s School and St. Margaret’s Home, managed by the nuns of the Daughters of the Cross, occupy the vast school campus.
The Sisters came from Calcutta, and first rented a British Bungalow ‘ Charleville ‘ on the Pankhabari-Kurseong road. The tea planters when they saw the nuns they expressed their willingness to send their daughters to the convent for education. The pioneering sisters accepted the girls in their convent on 17th April 1890. The Mother Superior of the sisters began to look for a new site for the school. A shapeless rocky mountain was located . The rocks were blasted and the stones were cut for the school building. The new school was ready by 1902. The Mother superior Sr Marie Aimec named the School, St. Helen’s Technical School.
The authorities of St. Helen’s paid a lot of attention to music. The school was made the centre for the Trinity College Music Examination in 1903. In 1910, St. Helen’s school was made Secondary school. In 1913, the school was made Higher Secondary School. St. Helens excels in co curricular activities. Activities related to social service and charity are part of the school curriculum. St. Helen’s School has a hostel which caters to the needs of students coming from India and neighbouring countries of Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim. Sr Rose Namattathil is the Principal of the School.