Goethals Memorial School is situated five miles north of Kurseong at an altitude of 5500 ft above sea level. It is owned and managed by the Congregation of Christian Brothers. The school has a spacious three storied building which accommodates 882 students. The school was established in memory of Archbishop Paul Count Goethals. After a meeting with Archbishop Meulemann the Christian Brothers came to Kurseong to open a school in 1903. They purchased 140 acres of land from the Maharaja of Burdwan. After clearing the site, Bro john Molitor was entrusted with the construction of the building. It took four years to complete the school and the hostel building. In February 1907, the school was formerly opened by Sir Andrew Fraser, Lieutenant governor of West Bengal. Bro. S O’brien was installed as the first Principal of the School. The School absorbed Catholic boys of the Europeans and Anglo-Indians, but Christian boys of other denominations as well as non Christians were received as boarders.
By 1944, there were 225 boarders and 19 day scholars. The Cambridge system continued until1970. The School switched over to ICSE. Now there are 635 students on the roll of whom 228 are boarders.
The School has the best playing fields in the area. Goethals Memorial has produced three Olympic gold medalists in hockey- Joseph T Galiberdy and Cyril J Mitchie 1936 Berlin Olympics, and C S Gurung 1952 Helsinki Olympics. The other co-curricular activities include dramatics, elocution, debates, quiz, social service, scouts and leadership training service.
The school goes forward with its motto ‘ Omnia Bene Facere ‘ meaning Do All Things Well.