Dr. Carew, The Archbishop of Calcutta, requested the Loreto Sisters in April 1846, to open a branch school of Loreto House Calcutta, in Darjeeling, which provided an excellent climate and envisaged education of the highest order.
The party of sisters included Mother Teresa Mons, Superior Mother Mary de Chantel Kelly, Fr. John McGirr, the Chaplain, two Novices and an orphan girl. They reached Darjeeling on 10th October1846, via Pankhabari. The Loreto team stayed In Snowy View on Birch Hill, a tiny cottage.
The present convent was built by funds provided by William Moran, a tea broker, and T R Laughnam ICS and District Judge of Darjeeling.
The first pupil was Miss Ryves, who joined Snowy View as a boarder, later she was joined by Miss Emma Moran and her brother as day scholars. Fr. McGirr brought Richard William, Henry Meredith from Purnea for the boarding. Thus, the first Catholic educational Institution started off in Darjeeling Hills with Five students.
Besides educating the European and Anglo-Indian children, the Loreto sisters started a school in 1855 to educate the local boys and girls. By 1867, there were 60 boarding girls and 15 boys in the convent school. The parents appreciated the education imparted by the Loreto sisters in Darjeeling.
In 1868, the sisters started an orphanage in the current campus.
The present imposing stone structure was planned and erected by E J Moriarty and replaced the old thatched building in 1892.
Cambridge Examination system was introduced in Darjeeling in 1905. On 10th October 1946, the Loreto Convent celebrated its centenary.
The school educates students from Lower KG to Class 12.The Commerce system of ISC has been introduced from the year 2016.Now, Science, Arts and Commerce streams are offered to the girls who pass ICSE.
Co- Curriculum activities include debate, elocution, quiz basket ball, badminton, valley ball, table tennis and foot ball. The girls are also given leadership training programme.
The school gets cent percent results in ICSE and ISC. There are 1635 girls studying who are taken care of by 102 faculty.