The School is situated one kilometer away from the town on Kurseong-Darjeeling road. The genesis of St. Alphonsus School could be traced back to the initiative of Fr Motet, a Professor of Philosophy, at St. Mary’s college, who opened St. Alphonsus School for local boys in 1891. Fr Michael Wery who was also the in- charge of the School, put heart and soul into the growth of St. Alphonsus School.
Fr Wery taught students Farming such as how to plant sag, potatoes and peas. He gave importance to vocational training and introduced carpentry, tailoring and shoe making. In 1937, the school’s reputation brought many pupils and new accommodation had to be found. So, His Grace the Archbishop Meulemann acquired the Clarendon Hotel in Kurseong town with a property of about 6 acres.
The hotel was turned into a fine school building. The first batch of 8 students appeared for Matriculation in 1937 and 7 were successful.
In 1960, Fr Joseph Murray Abraham took charge of the school. Later, Fr Abraham demolished the hotel and constructed the present school with the help of students as part of work education. He also introduced poultry in the school to inculcate in the students a sense of dignity of labour. The proceeds of the poultry went into the education of the children. Now the school conducts classes from 5 to 12.
Fr Justin Thiraveyam with help of 54 teachers look after 1900 students. The Primary section is managed by the Sisters of Apostolic Carmel.