The foundation of St. Augustine’s School goes back to the time of World War II. Panic stricken People fled to safer places for fear of imminent attacks by the Japanese troops and many institutions were also shut down.
During that time in St. Joseph’s Convent, Kalimpong, Fr Benjamin Stalke, was already tutoring some boy students of St. Joseph’s Convent School, for admission at St. Joseph’s School, North Point. A few Catholics sought the help of Fr Stolke for tutoring their children. After discussion with the authorities, Fr Benjamin Stolke started giving coaching classes for the Catholic Children who were taking shelter in Kalimpong. Fr Paul Thurler assisted Fr Benjamin with the coaching classes which started by using one of the rooms in the presbytery.
The coaching classes led to formal classes and thus St. Augustine’s School was created. As the number of students increased, so the school was shifted to a new location with 14 acres land in 1945,bought by Fr Gionora.
Fr Albert Lee, obtained School’s affiliation to the University of Cambridge. The first candidate appeared for the examination in 1952. In 1970, the school was affiliated to Council for the Indian School Certificate. The Swiss Fathers looked after the boarding and the school until 1978. The school conducts classes from Kindergarten to class 12.
The Roman Catholic Diocesan of Darjeeling looks after the administration of the school. Fr Gerad Lepcha is the present Principal of the School. The alumni of the school, called Sasonians are working all over the world.