This school is also popularly known as North Point School. It is situated at an altitude of 6,513 feet above the sea level. In 1887 the Jesuits came to Darjeeling. Fr. Depelchin purchased nine acres of land from the Government of Bengal and eight acres of land from the Maharaja of Burdwan. Lord Dufferin, the Viceroy, was instrumental in transferring the Government land to the Jesuit Mission. At the completion of the construction of the school building , the school was officially blessed by the Archbishop Goethals in December 1890. The school was originally called St. Joseph’s College. The classes began on 18th February 1892. For the first time in North Point. The students excelled in academic and cricket year after year. The School records show 28 nationalities of students in 1954. The School department keeps the students busy with sports, music, dramatics, debates, wide reading and studies. According to Education World India ranking 2015 for boys boarding school, St. Joseph’s School, North Point ranks 10 at all India level and 1st in West Bengal.
The Ambuja Reality Award for excellence in maintenance and eco-friendly initiatives was presented to St. Joseph’s School, North Point , Darjeeling. Rev. Fr. Shajumon C K, Sj, is the present Rector of St. Joseph’s School, North Point.