The school is located just below St. Josephs School, North Point. St Michael’s school initially started as a Primary school in 1925 by Fr Michael Mcdonough, to provide education to local boys and girls irrespective of caste, creed and belief. The school is christened after its founder Fr Michael Mcdonough. It is a co-educational school affiliated to West Bengal Board of Secondary Education.
St Michael’s School was recognized as a Junior High School on 23rd February 1979. In 1981, standard class IX was added with the permission from the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education Department.
The Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny took over the school from the Jesuits in 1982. The Higher Secondary Section was added in 1999, at the request of Mr Subhas Ghising, then , the Chairman of Darjeeling . In 2001 the School started the National Institute of Open School. The first batch of 15 students appeared for the examination in 2002. Sr Edel Rai, the present Principal with the help of 45 staff members looks after 1,085 students.