In 1951, Fr Leonard Molomo, the first Lepcha Catholic priest, reached Namcheybong, a village two kilometers away from the present St. Xavier’s School. At the same time Fr Aurelio Gianora had requested Fr Leonard to start a school in Sikkim. Fr Leonard was welcomed by his relatives and stayed with them.
Fr Molomo purchased a small plot of land just above Namcheybong and built his residence and a Primary school named Roman Catholic Mission School. The number of students grew gradually and Fr Molomo had to buy another plot of land for a bigger School and he did so in 1958 and established the present School and renamed it St. Xavier’s School. Later, Tashi Namgyal, then, Chogyal upgraded the school to a Junior High School and sanctioned Grant-in-Aid and school became the first Government aided school in Sikkim. The grant was stopped in 2008 and the school became a self-financed institution. In 1979 the school was officially affiliated to the Indian Council of Secondary Education. Now, classes are conducted from Lower KG to class 12 of ICSE and ISC streams. St. Xavier’s School play ground is not only used for school but also for all public functions of Pakyong sub-division.
The school also received the coveted national award for computer literacy in 2005. The school was awarded the best private school award in the state in 2008 Fr. Francis Banerjee with the help of 65 teachers and 26 non-teaching staff look after the curricular and co-curricular activities of the school. There are 1300 students in the school. Association of Xavierian alumni keeps the past students of St. Xavier’s School united to its alma mater.