Earlier Bethany school was known as Clifton Hall. On the requests of the local residents, the Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny, opened the Bethany Primary school for boys and girls of Darjeeling on 15th March 1957, with 20 students in the Kindergarten. Bethany became an international school with admissions of students from Bhutan and Nepal. In 1963 , Bethany school was affiliated to Anglo-Indian Schools. It has been recognized up to class v. After class 4 students are absorbed into many schools in Darjeeling.
In 1972, Holy Angels School was founded for the underprivileged children. It was inaugurated by Fr E P Burns, SJ of Hayden Hall, Darjeeling.
There are 540 students in the roll ( School records ) and 25 staff at Bethany. There are 78 boarders in the hostel. Sr Rosalia Rai is the Principal of the School.