St. Joseph’s school was opened in 1939. In the initial stage the school was housed in the presbytery near St. Paul’s church. The reason for opening the school was the demand for education among the hill people. The educated parents were not happy with primary education for their daughters. Therefore, the Sisters of the Daughters of the Cross decided to open a high school for the girls of Kurseong. 10 pupils were there in St. Joseph’s School in 1944.